Code of Ethics
For the Responsible Traveler.
- Travel in a spirit of humility and with genuine desire to meet and talk with local people.
- Be aware of the feelings of the local people; prevent what might be offensive behavior.
- Cultivate the habit of listening and observing rather than merely hearing and seeing or knowing all answers.
- Realize that other people may have concepts of time and have thought patterns which are different than yours.
- Instead of seeing the exotic, discover the richness of another culture and way of life.
- Get acquainted with local customs; respect them.
- Remember that you are only one among many visitors; do not expect special privileges.
- When shopping through bargaining, remember that the poorest merchant will give up profit rather than give up his/her personal dignity.
- Make no promise to local people or new friends that you cannot implement.
- Spend time each day reflecting on your experiences in order to deepen you understanding. What enriches you may be robbing others.
- If you want a home away from home, why travel!